This conference will examine the next steps for improving provision for care leavers in England.
There will be keynote contributions from Mark Riddell, National Implementation Adviser for Care Leavers, Department for Education; Matthew Brazier, Specialist Adviser for Looked After Children, Ofsted; Ann James, Director of Children and Families, Bristol City Council and Matthew Gordon, Chief Executive Officer, Spectra First.
Speakers sharing particular areas of experience include:
- Emma Bennett, Wolverhampton City Council - on the implementation of the local offers in her area;
- Suzanne Cain, Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust - on multi-agency work to improve provision for care leavers particularly those with mental health concerns; and
- Kate McGoey, Barclays LifeSkills - on the programme designed to support care leavers to raise their career aspirations with Barclays as a signatory of the Care Leaver Covenant.
- Policy priorities for supporting care leavers;
- Implementation of local offers, funding for local authorities and developing effective partnerships;
- Progress in implementing key measures for supporting young people leaving care - the Care Leaver Covenant, social impact bonds and raising attainment in higher education;
- Inspecting the standard of support for care leavers; and
- Case studies in improving outcomes for care leavers - transition to further and higher education, supporting care leavers into work and ensuring effective support is available until 25.
The discussion comes as government continues to develop the approach to supporting young people, with recent developments including:
- Introduction of the Care Leaver Covenant, which aims to provide additional support for those leaving care;
- Creation of a Care Leaver Covenant Board to be chaired by the Education Secretary with a pledge from Ministers to improve cross-government support for care leavers;
- Additional funding in the form of a £19m package of measures for care leavers, including extra money for the Staying Put foster care and Staying Close residential care initiatives; and
- Publication by every local authority of local offers for care leavers.
Price: £95 PLUS VAT
Format: DOWNLOADABLE PDF