Morning, Monday, 18th July 2022
This conference is bringing together policymakers and stakeholders to discuss the next steps for tackling plastic and food waste in England.
It will be an opportunity to assess the introduction of the plastic packaging tax, latest developments on the Deposit Return Scheme (DRS) for drinks containers, the forthcoming Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) scheme for packaging, and latest measures to tackle waste crime.
Sessions in the agenda will bring out latest thinking on:
- priorities - progress on recycling & the circular economy ◦ the UK Plastics Pact ◦ community engagement ◦ issues across the sector value chain
- waste management - system innovation & key developments ◦ plastics processing ◦ domestic recycling ◦ priorities for infrastructure
- littering & waste crime - detection & enforcement ◦ use of technology ◦ priorities for public services ◦ roles of communities & sector stakeholders ◦ support needed by local authorities
- innovation - case studies in development of key materials & processes:
- R&D in sustainable plastics
- the UK packaging system
- waste management
- the Flexible Plastic Fund
- EPR implementation
- policy - reducing plastic waste ◦ the Extended Producer Responsibility scheme ◦ long-term priorities
We are pleased to be able to include keynote contributions from: Helen Bird, Strategic Technical Manager, Plastics, WRAP; and Dawn Woodward, Deputy Head Resources and Waste, Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs.
The conference will be an opportunity for stakeholders to consider the issues alongside key policy officials who are due to attend from DIT; DAERA, NI; and The Scottish Government - as well as parliamentary pass-holders from the House of Commons.