Morning, Tuesday, 14th July 2020
THIS EVENT IS CPD CERTIFIED
This conference will examine the future of transport in the North of England.
With the new government’s commitment to devolve further powers and funding to the North of England, it will be an opportunity for stakeholders and policymakers to consider the role of devolved bodies - including Combined Authorities and sub-national transport bodies - in improving transport in the North of England.
Delegates will also discuss arrangements for running the North’s rail services in light of the findings of the Williams Rail Review, and the delivery of future infrastructure investment in the North’s railways - including High Speed 2 and Northern Powerhouse Rail - and for improving the North’s strategic road network.
We are pleased to include keynote addresses from:
- Eamonn Boylan, Chief Executive, Greater Manchester Combined Authority;
- Ben Smith, Director, Regions, Cities and Devolution, Department of Transport; and
- Tim Wood, Northern Powerhouse Rail Director, Transport for the North.
Further confirmed speakers include: Anna Heaton, Addleshaw Goddard; Adam Jupp, Manchester Airport; and senior speakers are confirmed from Highways England and WSP.
- Assessing the devolution of transport powers to the North of England;
- Next steps for combined authorities - utilising transport powers, northern rail services and creating a sustainable transport network;
- Priorities for northern transport - funding arrangements, project delivery and improving passenger experiences;
- Increasing regional connectivity - creating capacity on the transport network, encouraging regional growth and upgrading infrastructure;
- Developing international connectivity across the North of England - increasing transport links to major airports and driving regional growth;
- Investment in the strategic road network and responding to increased road traffic demand;
- Upgrading the North’s rail infrastructure - the Great North Rail Project;
- The future of High Speed 2, and implications for the wider transport network and services; and
- The future of Northern Powerhouse Rail.
Engagement with policy officials at this conference
Westminster Energy, Environment & Transport Forum conferences typically attract strong interest from policymakers. This seminar will be an opportunity for stakeholders to engage with officials who have already reserved places representing: the Department for Transport; MHCLG and Office of Rail and Road.