Morning, Wednesday, 15th September 2021
***Full-scale policy conference taking place online***
This conference will focus on the priorities for developing nuclear, including opportunities stemming from a wave of government policy initiatives around net-zero and the future energy mix, as well as supporting R&D and regional economies.
Delegates will also discuss strategies for overcoming challenges to new build projects - looking at priorities for creating stability and mitigating risks, including addressing development barriers and challenges around costs and financing, as well as building domestic industry capabilities and widening productive engagement with stakeholders.
The discussion is taking place in the context of the Energy white paper, and the Government’s response to the recent consultation on the scope for using a Regulated Asset Base (RAB) model for funding nuclear projects, as well as the wider ambitions for achieving net-zero by 2050.
We are pleased to be able to include keynote contributions from Declan Burke, Director, Nuclear Projects and Development, BEIS; Humphrey Cadoux-Hudson, Managing Director, Nuclear Development, Sizewell C; Mark Foy, Chief Nuclear Inspector, Office for Nuclear Regulation; Tom Greatrex, Chief Executive, Nuclear Industry Association; and Nigel Houlton, Future Missions Director, Magnox.
Overall, areas for discussion include:
- the long-term policy outlook for nuclear, and its potential contribution to a 2050 net-zero energy mix
- priorities for delivering nuclear new builds and effective business case design
- barriers to investor confidence and creating an effective finance model
- supporting domestic industry growth and regional leadership in UK nuclear
Our forums are known for attracting strong interest from policymakers and stakeholders. Places have been reserved by officials from BEIS; the Department for International Trade; and the Welsh Government. Also due to attend are representatives from Baker McKenzie; Economic Insight; Gowling WLG; Greencoat Capital; Innovate UK; Low Carbon Contracts Company; NERA Economic Consulting; Ofgem; Stop Sizewell C; Together Against Sizewell C; and UK Research and Innovation.
Press passes have been reserved by representatives from Bloomberg; Energy Intelligence; Montel News; RICS; and S&P Global Platts.
Overall, we expect speakers and attendees to be a senior and informed group including Members of both Houses of Parliament, representatives from the energy supply sector, nuclear plant operators and developers, electricity network and project development specialists, investment, infrastructure and legal groups, innovation and technology organisations, regional bodies and academics and commentators, together with reporters from the national and trade media.
This is a full-scale conference taking place online***
- full, four-hour programme including comfort breaks - you’ll also get a full recording and transcript to refer back to
- information-rich discussion involving key policymakers and stakeholders
- conference materials provided in advance, including speaker biographies
- speakers presenting via webcam, accompanied by slides if they wish, using the Cisco WebEx professional online conference platform (easy for delegates - we’ll provide full details)
- opportunities for live delegate questions and comments with all speakers
- a recording of the addresses, all slides cleared by speakers, and further materials, is made available to all delegates afterwards as a permanent record of the proceedings
- delegates are able to add their own written comments and articles following the conference, to be distributed to all attendees and more widely
- networking too - there will be opportunities for delegates to e-meet and interact - we’ll tell you how!
Full information and guidance on how to take part will be sent to delegates before the conference