Afternoon, Wednesday, 16th September 2020
***Full-scale policy conference taking place online***
This conference will discuss the next steps for adult social care in England.
Key areas for discussion:
- Challenges facing the adult social care sector including supporting the delivery and integration of services alongside workforce development and retention;
- The sector’s response to the COVID-19 Pandemic;
- The future funding of the adult social care system;
- Priorities for adult social care reform, including the next steps for policy; and
- Supporting and developing the social care workforce.
Developments that are relevant to the discussion:
- Policy - and agreement on the way forward, with:
- the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care initiating moves aimed at a cross-party consensus for reforming the adult social care system, and creating a sustainable solution, and
- the Government indicating that they will then bring forward a plan for social care for the longer term.
- The COVID-19 Pandemic - and the sector’s ongoing response, with the Government outlining its adult social care action plan;
- Funding and staffing - with:
- Key challenges facing the adult social care sector: funding, workforce development and retention and COVID-19;
- Improving services, collaboration and patient and service user care;
- Creating a sustainably funded adult social care system;
- Approaches to funding and priorities for a cross-party consensus on adult social care reform; and
- Next steps for policy and social care reform.
Policy officials attending:
Our forums are known for attracting strong interest from policymakers and stakeholders.
Overall, we expect speakers and attendees to be a senior and informed group including Members of both Houses of Parliament, senior government and regulatory officials involved in this area of policy, as well as from health and social care providers and professionals, local government and community groups, charities and user groups, campaigners and advocacy organisations, representatives of the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries, academics and commentators, together with reporters from the national and specialist media.
This is a full-scale conference taking place online***
- full, four-hour programme including comfort breaks - you’ll also get a full recording to refer back to
- information-rich discussion involving key policymakers and stakeholders
- conference materials provided in advance, including speaker biographies
- speakers presenting via webcam, accompanied by slides if they wish, using the Cisco WebEx professional online conference platform (easy for delegates - we’ll provide full details)
- opportunities for live delegate questions and comments with all speakers
- a recording of the addresses, all slides cleared by speakers, and further materials, is made available to all delegates afterwards as a permanent record of the proceedings
- delegates are able to add their own written comments and articles following the conference, to be distributed to all attendees and more widely
- networking too - there will be opportunities for delegates to e-meet and interact - we’ll tell you how!
Full information and guidance on how to take part will be sent to delegates before the conference