Morning, Wednesday, 10th June 2020
THIS EVENT IS CPD CERTIFIED
This conference will assess the next steps for English towns. Planned areas for discussion include:
- priorities for Town Deals;
- developing housing and transport infrastructure; and
- supporting economic growth.
It takes place in context of:
- Government accelerating its plans for regenerating English towns - as 100 places are chosen to take part in new Town Deals;
- Formation of Town Deal Boards, with Government expecting to receive Town Investment Plans by summer 2020;
- MHCLG announcing that ‘hundreds of millions’ of the £1bn Future High Streets Fund will be invested across England in 2020; and
- A planned National Bus Strategy to be published later this year following the announcement of £5bn to develop bus and cycle links for every region outside London.
There will be a keynote contribution from: Beatrice Andrews, Head of Deals, Cities and Local Growth Unit.
Further speakers include: Claudia Kenyatta, Director, Regions, Historic England; David Kerfoot, Chair, York and North Yorkshire Enterprise Partnership and High Sheriff, North Yorkshire; Matt Leach, Chief Executive Officer, Local Trust; Sue Morgan, Director, Architecture and the Built Environment, Design Council and Gareth Swarbrick, Chief Executive, Rochdale Boroughwide Housing.
Rt Hon the Lord Bassam of Brighton has kindly agreed to chair part of this seminar.
- The policy outlook for English Towns;
- Supporting prosperity and learning from successful town regeneration projects;
- Making best use of the Towns Fund, developing Town Investment Plans and linking with Local Industrial Strategies;
- Meeting the housing needs of local communities and making sure the right type of housing is in the right place;
- Developing local transport networks, improving bus services and integrating services effectively; and
- Supporting local economic growth - improving the cultural offering in town centres, repurposing property, utilising investment and supporting local retailers.