Morning, Wednesday, 3rd November 2021
***Full-scale policy conference taking place online***
This conference will discuss priorities for improving housing design and delivery in the UK.
It will be an opportunity to discuss the National Model Design Code and the Building Better Building Beautiful Commission’s Living with Beauty report, assessing their proposals and the outlook for the sector.
Delegates will also look at the restructuring of the planning process outlined in the Planning Bill - which was announced in the Queen’s speech - as well as the impact on the sector of the Building Safety Bill, the Fire Safety Act, and reforms around building regulation.
We are pleased to be able to include keynote sessions with: Paul Monaghan, Director, Allford Hall Monaghan Morris and Special Adviser, Building Better, Building Beautiful Commission Victoria Hills, Chief Executive, Royal Town Planning Institute; Dr Ben Clifford, Associate Professor In Spatial Planning and Government, Bartlett School of Planning, UCL; and Jeff Endean, Director, Cast Consultancy
The agenda will bring out latest thinking on:
- the National Model Design Code, housing quality and safety
- the planning process and local decision making
- sustainability in design and delivery
- priorities for the new Office for Place
Our forums are known for attracting strong interest from policymakers and stakeholders. Places have been reserved by parliamentary pass-holders from the House of Commons, and officials from BEIS; the Development Bank of Wales; HM Revenue & Customs; the Office for Product Safety; and the Welsh Government. Also due to attend are representatives from East Riding of Yorkshire Council and Okehampton Town Council.
Overall, we expect speakers and attendees to be a senior and informed group including Members of both Houses of Parliament, senior government and regulatory officials involved in this area of policy, as well as from local authorities, combined authorities, local enterprise partnerships, housing associations, the construction sector, architecture, business, skills, infrastructure, lawyers, academics, think tanks, environmental organisations, the independent and third sectors, and others concerned with the issues, together with reporters from the national and specialist media.
This is a full-scale conference taking place online***
- full, four-hour programme including comfort breaks - you’ll also get a full recording and transcript to refer back to
- information-rich discussion involving key policymakers and stakeholders
- conference materials provided in advance, including speaker biographies
- speakers presenting via webcam, accompanied by slides if they wish, using the Cisco WebEx professional online conference platform (easy for delegates - we’ll provide full details)
- opportunities for live delegate questions and comments with all speakers
- a recording of the addresses, all slides cleared by speakers, and further materials, is made available to all delegates afterwards as a permanent record of the proceedings
- delegates are able to add their own written comments and articles following the conference, to be distributed to all attendees and more widely
- networking too - there will be opportunities for delegates to e-meet and interact - we’ll tell you how!
Full information and guidance on how to take part will be sent to delegates before the conference