Morning, Tuesday, 14th December 2021
***Full-scale policy conference taking place online***
This conference will examine policy priorities for developing gas networks in the UK, looking at:
- issues and opportunities for the gas grid to transition to hydrogen and low-carbon energy sources
- next steps for modernising infrastructure and improving resilience
The discussion will be a timely opportunity to consider the progress of the first year for RIIO-2 delivery, looking at its impact on gas supply and demand, as well as priorities for supporting the financial sustainability of network operators, as well as wider issues for balancing network and consumer needs in the delivery of RIIO-2.
The conference also takes place in the context of key developments around decarbonisation and the Government’s ambition to reach net-zero emissions by 2050; delegates will discuss how this background dovetails with priorities for gas development in the UK.
We are pleased to be able to include keynote contributions from:
- Dr Alexandra Howe, Head of Gas Security, Networks and Markets, Energy Security, BEIS - looking at policy priorities for gas network development
- Michael Wagner, Deputy Director, Gas Networks Price Controls, Ofgem - on delivering regulatory reform for operational and low-carbon improvements for UK gas networks
Our forums are known for attracting strong interest from policymakers and stakeholders. Places have been reserved by officials from BEIS; the Competition and Markets Authority; the Department for International Trade; the Department for the Economy, NI; the Department for Transport; and the Welsh Government. Also due to attend are representatives from the CF Fertilisers UK and Morgan Sindall.
Overall, we expect speakers and attendees to be a senior and informed group including Members of both Houses of Parliament, senior government and regulatory officials involved in this area of policy, as well as from stakeholders from across the UK transport sector including public transport operators and their advisors, airlines and aviation groups, urban and city planners, local government and community leaders, infrastructure and logistics firms, consumer bodies, researchers from academia and higher education, together with reporters from the national and specialist media.
This is a full-scale conference taking place online***
- full, four-hour programme including comfort breaks - you’ll also get a full recording and transcript to refer back to
- information-rich discussion involving key policymakers and stakeholders
- conference materials provided in advance, including speaker biographies
- speakers presenting via webcam, accompanied by slides if they wish, using the Cisco WebEx professional online conference platform (easy for delegates - we’ll provide full details)
- opportunities for live delegate questions and comments with all speakers
- a recording of the addresses, all slides cleared by speakers, and further materials, is made available to all delegates afterwards as a permanent record of the proceedings
- delegates are able to add their own written comments and articles following the conference, to be distributed to all attendees and more widely
- networking too - there will be opportunities for delegates to e-meet and interact - we’ll tell you how!
Full information and guidance on how to take part will be sent to delegates before the conference