Morning, Thursday, 11th November 2021
***Full-scale policy conference taking place online***
This conference will examine policy priorities for the development and growth of Freeports in the UK in light of the launch of the Government’s Freeport programme - looking at implementation, impact, and issues such as taxation and cooperation across the UK nations.
It will also be an opportunity to reflect on challenges and opportunities around international trade and the UK’s relationship with the EU, as well as how this affects priorities for the implementation of Freeports, such as the possibility that the final design may violate level playing field rules set out in the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement.
Delegates will also consider next steps for Freeports in the UK in the context of broader priorities, including how they can dovetail with policy around the protection of the environment, tackling the climate crisis, and the economic disruption caused by the pandemic.
Our forums are known for attracting strong interest from policymakers and stakeholders.
Overall, we expect speakers and attendees to be a senior and informed group including Members of both Houses of Parliament, senior government and regulatory officials involved in this area of policy, together with ports from around the UK and their partners including industry associations, the freight and wider transport sector, infrastructure and technology providers, exporters and other businesses, local authorities and LEPs, consultancies and logistics organisations, financial, legal and public affairs advisors, environmental, community and regeneration groups, academics and commentators, international interests and embassies, and reporters from the specialist and national media.
This is a full-scale conference taking place online***
- full, four-hour programme including comfort breaks - you’ll also get a full recording and transcript to refer back to
- information-rich discussion involving key policymakers and stakeholders
- conference materials provided in advance, including speaker biographies
- speakers presenting via webcam, accompanied by slides if they wish, using the Cisco WebEx professional online conference platform (easy for delegates - we’ll provide full details)
- opportunities for live delegate questions and comments with all speakers
- a recording of the addresses, all slides cleared by speakers, and further materials, is made available to all delegates afterwards as a permanent record of the proceedings
- delegates are able to add their own written comments and articles following the conference, to be distributed to all attendees and more widely
- networking too - there will be opportunities for delegates to e-meet and interact - we’ll tell you how!
Full information and guidance on how to take part will be sent to delegates before the conference